Yep, it’s THAT Anne Morriss (i.e. Starbucks Cup #76)

Starbucks started to dispense free advice on the side of its coffee cups a number of years ago, in a campaign they titled “The Way I See It.” Anne’s words found their way onto cup #76, and enough people have asked me about it that I’m reprinting it here. I’m biased, but I remain grateful for the way she sees it:

The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life.

9 Responses to Yep, it’s THAT Anne Morriss (i.e. Starbucks Cup #76)

1. Kimberly says:

I think 80% of the time I order a “grande” drink, I get this cup… no matter what city I am in… coincidence?

2. Pat says:

For years I’ve read Starbucks’ “The Way I See It” messages. Anne’s is the first time I leaped up and said, “Yes, that’s it!”

3. Kim Bolte says:

The first time I read “Commitment” AKA Starbucks Cup #76 I thought, “Man, she aced it.”
    My head has been standing between me and my big dreams for 61 years. All this time, all I needed to do was to loose my head. Now I know how…commitment.
    Somebody hug Anne for me.

4. ParatrooperJJ says:

Annie – you are famous!!

5. Nancy says:

Wow. I’m behind the curve since I usually take my own cup to Starbucks and don’t use a disposable. This morning, however, I needed a cup with a lid, and voila, I saw Anne’s quote. Amen to Pat and Kim’s comment. Precisely what I thought! My head is spinning with the possibilities of this insight.

6. DeMing Carpenter says:

I love the words that came from my cup of starbucks coffee A have found them inspirational……an opportunity to take a chance, commitment ….thank you for sharing 🙂

7. katie says:

Today was my first day that I got the cup with Anne’s quote. It’s amazing! It is a trigger, an eye opener, a mind motivator! Thank you!

8. Liz says:

I got this cup/quote many months ago when i was with my honey….at our local Starbucks where we used to go and drink and write in our “Legacy” notebook that we use to write about the big things that we do together and the things that happen between us. A co_journal.

I am now living with him (committed) and I have started acupuncture school at the age of 53. I just pasted the cup quote cutout that i saved – to my new desk…..

It IS amazing what making a commitment can do…..I am/we are living proof!!

I just decided to google Anne to see who she is and what’s been said about her since that cup “came out”….Life is fun.

9. Anne Morriss says:

What a great story — thank you for sharing it! And good luck!